Wednesday, July 30, 2008

Nut revival


This week I'm pretty tired due to some undefined illness, but I can't resist showing you this photo. This spring I tidied a contianer with dead tigernuts, they had been left without water for too long. I removed every nut I could find in the root systems, then I planted the remnants in the old soil, just for the thought of it. The container was put on the balcony, and I forgot about it, save for the occasional splash of leftover water and thought "Perhaps I ought to remove these dull straw tufts."

The result? Green leaves. Fact is, these are the happiest and healthiest tiger nut plants I ever grown. Weed species are a treat - when you grow them in containers.

2 comments:

WiseAcre said...

I had to look them up. I didn't know they were a nutsedge and Tigernuts are cultivated for both human and animal consumption.

and from what I saw it's good to keep them 'panned' in

Rosengeranium said...

Yes, they are a pain in those areas were they survive the winters. In Sweden they freeze, but I don't recommend planting them anywhere else than in containers anyhow - the weather are steadily getting warmer here too.