Thursday, February 22, 2007

Added light for windowsill, part 1

My son is ill. This means that I spent the for noon at home together with hubby and offspring. This was a coincidence too good not to be used in some way. Since I keep everything I need at home for putting up added light for an entire windowsill, fluorescent lamps, armature, chains for hanging the armature and bracket to fasten the chains in something - to make the lamp shine on the right spot you have to fasten it in something a bit away from the wall. This I discovered when I put up the added light for my herbgarden, and had to use some more rustic methods.

I started by opening the armature and stare mystified at the contents for a while. It isn't that hard, everything is colour coded, you have a short and helpful manual and the only thing you really need to worry about is one lamp and one cord. But the presence of hubby triggered my bad confidence in handling mechanincs and heavier crafts. I think it's something that is impressed on girls through simple and double messages all through the years. And hubby was walking around discretely eager to be of help, if only to put a battery into its recharger. The urge to ask him almost overpowered me, but neither hubby nor I did yield.

The armature is made for moist places, like djungles and the bathrooms of teenage girls. This means that the cover has strong clips and and packings, plus two rubbergizmos meant to seal the hole for the cord. All of this were packed in a plastic bag together with some extra clips as well as packings for the attachments. According to the manual two screws should have been packed too, but I didn't even find a glimmer of them. Perhaps this is a good thing, since I'm about to hang the lamps in chains I was going to use steel loops anyway. If I ever need to seal the lamp completely I plan to use some silicone rubber.

One of the big problems was the shelf. The brackets needed to be placed on such a distance that I can't hang the chains directly from them. It's not estetic to have chains hanging diagonally when their only function is to hold a lamp! A simple solution to the problem is to place a shelf on the brackets and fasten loops under it for the chains and the cord. Unfortunately we didn't have any piece of plank long enough for this purpose. My thoughts went to the discarded indoor rails we keep on our attic, hubby suggested a broom stick.

Broomstick it was, then.

Time to get some work done. With a bracket in one hand and a ruler in the other I climbed a chair from IKEA to meassure exactly where I should put the bracket. I wanted the bottom side of the shelf to be in line with the windowframes. In that way I thought I would get an horizontal shelf. Turned out that our windows are not in line with each other. We live in a house built in the 80s when desing was in, but not building up to standards. I used a few foul words while fighting the ruler to get a line that at least would be visually logical. Hubby wondered why I didn't marked the holes where I should drill - and I asked why when I only needed a line to aim after.

Time for the cordless screwdriver. Looking at it I instantly imagined bloody mishaps and emergencies and secretly hoped for hubby to offer his help. He didn't. What we did do was to localise the supporting frames for the walls. They have sucked small amounts of moist into the plaster boards to the extant that our wall papers are striped with grey on their places. Quite practical on occasions like this. The point was to screw directly into the frames instead of using special gizmos to make the screws hang on to the plaster. Yeeha! I could use the frames. This shelf will stay put.

Back on the chair, bracket against the wall, the screw in the bit (that is magnetic) and then I screwed directly into the hole in the bracket. Well, halfway through I discovered that the bracket was som tiny that the screwdriver actually tipped it a bit. The whole thing was skew, and da rned how the mechanincs worked slow! I jumped down to fetch our small, flexible screwdriver - which proved to be even weaker, of course. The non mechanical one was a joke! My helpfull hubby added an extension to the big one, and I could work again. Except for the last hole, where the supporting arm of the bracket was placed in front. What is the reasoning behind a construction like that? "We put a hole here for a fastening screw, but let's make it purely ornamental"? Above that I managed to drill out the treads in the screw by being to squeemish in pressing on while screwing.

BAH! That's what you get trying to prove your competence!

Finally I had fastened the screws, all three of them. Well there was half an inch left for the last one when the screwdriver said.


Battery's out, and no extra to use.

I told my hubby that putting a battery in the charger was so easy that even I could handle it, and put the battery in the charger. Then I returned to contemplate the lamp. I unpacked the things in the bag, read the manual thoroughly, squeezed the rubber thingys gently. This seems to be easy. I only need to drill a hole for the chains. Explains to hubby what I am about to do. He agrees to my plans - good, saves me a lot of fuss. Then we take out our foldable working bench and I fasten the cover in that. I take the opportunity to fasten the loose clip too.

The battery has been in the charger for a while. I fit it into the screwdriver again, hubby gives me right drill and I press it to the cover. Askew again, I pause and correct the position before the plastic has been to damaged. Drill against the cover, a better grip on the screwdriver and....


Not much use in that battery.

Hubby concludes that this work isn't meant to be done right now. I agree. It's some kind of sign. So my report on this work so far is; after half a days work I've managed to put up one (1) brackett.

No comments: