Monday, January 14, 2008

Pflanzensprüher!

No, despite the umlaut this isn't a new and intriguing piece of furniture from IKEA. "Pflanzensprüher" is a german word meaning "pressure plantsprayer" and I've always thought that if you need some humour in your work you should add a german word or two (this is probably a swedish thing). I bought two plantsprayers at a cheapstore today. The lables were made for EU and printed with no less than twentyfour languages - for exemple "pressure plantsprayer" is called "pulverizador de pressão para plantas" portuguese (does anyone dare to aim with a thing like that at a flower?!). Languages aside I bought the plantsprayers to be able to spray my plants to prevent infestation from bugs and pests. The Uppsalawater is pretty rich in calcium and with a trusty sprayer I can be sure to use demineralised water instead.

Since I'm a person that wants Things To Be Done Properly I also tried the sprayers out in store.

Imagine this; a somewhat fat woman in an extremely blue coat and with an iPod earpiece in one ear picks a red sprayer from the shelf. Completely absorbed by her podcast she pumps it up with her elbows waving around as if she tried to fly from the place.
*dunkh!* *dunkh!* *dunkh!"
She aims the sprayer at her cheek and releases the pressure block
*PFsssh*
Hm, the red one obviously was no good. Still she tests three more of the reds before she realises that there are a huge amount of blue and green ones too. A green one is picked from the shelf. The neat girls buying schampoo are already staring down the aisle. The woman pumps up the green sprayer,
*DUNKH!* *dunkh!* *dunkh!*
aims at her cheek and releases the block.
*PFSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSSHHH!*
This one is unbroken, still she tries out the few other red ones that are left before she settles on the green and a blue one. She wanders off to the checkout oblivious to the fact that everyone are staring at her.

I should be blushing, or at least be embarrassed, but I think I've grown too old for that. After all, I've learnt what pressure plant sprayer is called in german, and I now have to good ones for my indoor gardens. My plants will thrive!

No comments: