Monday, March 26, 2007

I just wanted some culinary facts on garden sage!


This photo is called "sage" and the photografer is Sporkist. You can read more about Sporkist and watch his photos here.



Jeesus!

I'm starting to get quite a lot of garden sage in my boxes, and have reached the "what am I to do with all this?" stage. Ordinary gardeners mostly reaches it in the autumn, but I suspect I have to live with it the year around.

I decided to make a search on the web to see if I could gain some deeper knowledge about this plant - and maybe find one or two recipes.

I learnt one thing pretty fast. Sage attracts bees, people who wants magic in their life, and people who likes to smoke things.

If anyone of my readers are half way to Tescos or Walmart I have to make you disappointed. There are many kinds of sage, and the variety that do have hallucinogenic effects is an american one, not for sale in ordinary grocery stores (at least not in Sweden). But all kinds of sage are poisonous in bigger amounts, so don't serve it as a salad or to pregnant women.

I'm not a big fan of fooling around with magic, so I skipped those parts. I wanted recipes - or at least some general culinary advices. In the shadow of all "magical uses" my harvest seemed a bit meager.

Sage is used with fat fish, pork and mutton. It's particularly popular in Italy where it's often used together with rosemary. Cheese is also spiced with sage. Whatever the use it's preferable to use fresh leaves, since the aroma disappears to some extent with drying. It is possible to use it in tea to cure colds (works sometimes), but be frugal both in the dosage and the length of the cure - see above.

Ah well, I'll make another search - on food fora this time.

No comments: