Tuesday, March 11, 2008

Whatever happened to Mr Brown Thumb?


The new shelves are up! I'm exhausted from repotting and sterilising soil the entire day yesterday. Indoor vegetable gardening are almost as much work as in an ordinary garden. Most of my time today has been lost sleeping over a magnificent swedish gardening book (a shame - I know) and reading blogs.

Now I have time to think all those thoughts that building shelves and balancing on stepladders shoved into the unconsious. Like; where will I put all the tigernuts I want to grow. Depsite three windowsills with added light and two nurseries planned I can't find the space for them. But that is a small question compared to whatever happened to Mr Brown Thumb?

Mr Brown Thumb is a gardening blogger living in Chicago. He was one of the first to read Indoor Gardener, and he helped me out in cyberspace by sugesting a link exchange and his posts on blogging were an added help. As far as I know he lives on his blogs, and he used to update them almost daily last year.

He wrote his last blogpost january 13th this year. People are still commenting on it, but now they say things along the lines of "we miss you" and "hope your real life takes so much of your time that you don't have the time for this blog". Because when a voice in cyberspace is muffled the silence is eery.

Mr Brown Thumb doesn't seem to have planned to stop, his thread of thoughts is just cut off. But whoever would you call to ask if everything's alright? It's not as though we have common friends in 'real' life. One of his blogs displays an email adress, but what if he doesn't answer... If he hadn't wrote in one of his posts that he is six feet tall and has a shaven head I hadn't even known anything about his looks.

I just sent an email to his adress. Probably he's got a job or a girlfriend that takes all his time, I hope. Anyone reading this blog who knows anything is welcome to tell me in the commentaries. I admit to be a tad worried.

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope he reads your post, so he knows you care. Otherwise, lets hope he is having fun!
TopVeg

Tina said...

I sent an email a few months ago telling him I hoped he was all right and asking him to check in or something just so everyone would know he was ok, but never received an answer.
But, I also got worried about Sissy, never got an answer from her either, but she just popped up unexpectedly the other day after 6 months! So, I'm hoping the same happens with Mr. Brown Thumb.

Colleen Vanderlinden said...

Rosengeranium---
I've been wondering about him, too. I sent an email right after I read your post. If I hear anything back, I'll let you know.

What worries me is that not only has he not posted on his blogs (which I get---I can go a long time between posts myself) but I haven't seen him commenting on any blogs either. And, he's one of my friends on StumbleUpon, and his profile is showing that the last time he logged in there was two months ago.

I hope it's winter blahs, or that he's very busy with "real life" right now. I agree with you---when a blogger goes silent, it's just eerie.

WiseAcre said...

I have been wondering for some time now. I too am a bit concerned about his disappearance since it came without any mention from him that he would be away.

Hopefully someone has heard from him and will comment. But that's what has me worried. I'm sure he's received many e-mails and it would have been easy to post a response on his blog.

Everyone can blame him for getting me to blog. If it wasn't for his encouragement I never would have started.

My thoughts and best wishes go out to him. Hopefully he's on some Caribbean Island soaking up the sun having a drink with an umbrella in it.

Rosengeranium said...

All of you: I knew and I'm glad that I'm not the only one wondering. Let's hope it's the winter blahs.

Sweet Home and Garden Carolina said...

I've been wondering , too, what has happened to my friend and fellow Chicagoan, MBT. I left messages to him on his blog and email but no response.

In one of his emails to me he mentioned he was a member of the Midwest Forum at Garden Web and knew some of the locals who met up to exchange plants and attend other garden-related events. I've posted a message on their forum asking anyone with info to let me know.

It's just not like him to suddenly stop the wonderful blog he was so passionate about. He has many fans and followers that are very concerned about him.

I'll let you know if and when I hear anything.