Friday, September 12, 2008

The kitchen window


I thought I had more spices, but when I looked into my seed 'library' the only things that aren't already growing are dill and lemon thyme. Eventhough I'll plant a new thyme (tastes good in the spice oil) it feels a bit bland. Will I need to do some online shopping at Impecta again? Normally I would rejoice at the thought, but now I want to keep my wallet in a tight grip*.

Hmmmm, I have some ramson stuffed away. That'll be the plan; I'll plant ramson and lemon thyme when I've tidied away the dead plants. Some of the living needs bigger pots and I'll position them better - right now everything is cramped to make room for plants now dead or moved to other places. The entire garden will be given a two week daily shower with clean water - there's an undefined pest here that I want to clean away.

***



*I try to keep my inner shopper in check, but she manages to escape all too often.

2 comments:

NappiNish said...

I read somewhere that dill and thyme were hard to start from seeds. That is was better to just get the little starter plants. Is this true because I've got some seeds here that I'd like to start in my window...

Rosengeranium said...

I don't know. I had immediate success with thyme and dill has never been a problem to me. Sometimes what's hard or not to grow depends more on the mentality of the gardener than the seed or the methods. I've seen expert gardeners reject plants that I find easy to start - and I've made epic fails on seeds that normally are given to beginners since they're easy to work with.

Try out the seeds first, if they don't sprout you can still buy plants. My own method is to start my seeds in cleaned egg shells filled with seedling soil and standing on a thick bedding of clay pebbles (retains some extra moisture). Probably most methods will do as long as the seedlings get proper attention while they're growing.