Sunday, January 21, 2007

Let there be light!

Oh well, I keep a large selfwatering pot with mint and sage in my kitchen window. Last thursday it looked like this:



Hardly an uplifting sight, is it? This is the consequence of mild neglection and too little light. But there are sollutions. Clas Ohlson (a swedish hardware chain) are selling these:



Don't ask me why it's called "Megaman", I keep thinking of it as "the hiphoplamp". According to the container it's perfect for givning ailing plants extra light. Since scientifically reliable studies special plant lamps (roughly put; they shine a lot with light that plants like) aren't necessary, you can do well with normal fluorescent tubes, I only wanted the screen. But when I opened the package a plant lamp was enclosed - thankyou!



As you can see, this lamp was supposed to be used as a ceiling lamp. I wanted to use it in the window, which meant I had to add some length to the cable and change the plugs. I was taught to do this at school, and I DON'T WANT ANYONE WHO ARE NOT ABSOLUTELY SURE ON WHAT SHE/HE IS DOING TO TRY THIS AT HOME - HIGH TENSION KILLS! Anyway, with the addition of a timer, set to 5,30am - 7,30pm since I've heard plants need light for 12 to 14 hours, my kitchen window now looks like this:



My crappy plant is now bathing in slightly purple and icky light. The wonders of technology....

No comments: